Thursday, October 18, 2012

THROWBACK THURSDAY: “YOU'VE GOT THE JUICE NOW…”

Come get me, that's if you want to sip the juice
Cause the streets await me, so I take my gun off safety
Cause alot of ni**az hate me
Coming out of the building, they set me up
Sprayed with automatics, they wet me up
In a puddle of blood, I lay close to the edge
I guess I didn't know the ledge....
Eric B. and Rakim “Juice”

“You don’t know what people are going through.”
This simple statement has become one of my many mantras of sorts.  I first heard it stated emphatically and repeatedly back in 2005 or so and whenever I’m seconds from popping off on someone, or I feel that I want to trip someone on the sidewalk or issue a donkey punch into a round house kick to the person who’s a tad too close on the subway, I always reflect on this statement.  For real, for real, let me tell you good people of NYC, be blessed and thank your lucky stars I don’t know how to make a shank on the spot out of a bobby pin and a sharpie marker because I promise you, there would be victims from Time Square to Crown Heights! It is what it is.  Judge me now or judge me later, but you have to walk in my nude ballet flats to know my pain! 
Anywho, let me stay on task.  Listen, I know by now you all have seen that video of the bus driver uppercutting that young lady with the oh so flowery mouth. Yes, this would be the video that was taken in my lovely hometown of Cleveland and let me take a moment to thank (NOT) all of those sweet enough to tag me, email me, inbox me, facebook me, and text me the link…like that was my Uncle or something! *sucks teeth*  I digress,  the point is, the moment I saw the video this was THEE exact and only phrase that came to mind.
“You don’t know what people are going through.”
Now, that video was tragic in every sense, on both sides, we all saw it so I won’t go into details.  And yes, I know we all have differing views on the reaction of the bus driver, so again no details here. But what I will say is I, of all people, understand the perils of public transportation.  Moreover, I also understand when said perils can push you close to the edge.   I know this personally and through the eyes of others.  Listen, when you put people who would NEVER in any circumstances EVER cross paths except for your daily commute, anything and everything can and will happen. Why? Because everyone has their breaking point, and some people can’t seem to respect that. Word. Up. 
Once several years ago I was on the 3 train, with my roommate at the time and we were commuting home from Bed, Bath and Beyond. Please don’t ask me why I remember these details like it happened 2 days ago when I can’t even remember what shoes I wore to work yesterday, my mind man, it’s a dangerous thing hahaha! Anywho, I was on the 3 and it pulled into the 72nd street station and these two professional women (one Hispanic and one Black) got on the train.  So, how do I know they were professional?  Well, they both had on suits and functional pumps (that’s important as too high of a heel indicates a poser and quasi-stripper or hood rat…kind of one in the same but nevermind that) In a nutshell, they were dressed very conservatively.   Anywho, they hop on the train and unbeknownst to me and the other riders, the Black chick accidentally elbowed the other as they were going to their seats. Could it have been a simple mistake? Probably. She was on her hustle to get her seat and the Hispanic chick was in the line of fire.  It happens, she knew the rules, gotta stay on the good foot on the train yo.   Well rules or not, the Hispanic chick wasn’t having it. She was pissed and was persistent in letting the Black girl know she was pissed.  And when I say persistent, I mean from 72nd street to 96th street she kept mumbling and talking about it…..NONSTOP!
Okay let me pause to explain where I was in all of this. I was sitting directly across from them.  I actually thought they were friends because it seemed to be some type of familiarity to each other the way the Black girl kept dismissing her. 
Wait,  there’s no better way for me to give you this story than to lay it out in dialog:
Hispanic chick:  “You didn’t have to elbow me to get to the seat…”
Black chick: “I said I was sorry”
HC: “I mean that’s ridiculous you know...like to elbow me to get to the seat…”
BC: “Listen, I said I was sorry”
HC: *more elbow, elbow , elbow *(paraphrasing)
BC: “Shut up”
HC: *Elbow Elbow Elbow Elbow*
BC: “Shut THE FUCK up…”
HC: *Elbow Elbow Elbow Elbooooooooow bowww bowwww bowwwww * (really it felt like this, even I was annoyed)
**so this is when it takes a turn for the worse because clearly the Black chick was annoyed too…**
In one swift move rivaled by only something I’ve only seen in movies like X-men,  like supernatural isht, the Black chick was on top of the Hispanic chick punching her square in the face, while her other hand (not punching) was ramming her head into the window! (Lightweight violent huh?)
The train scatters to polar ends.  I however, stay in my seat.  Partly stunned and partly scared to get caught in the melee.
As the Black girl was punching her, with every hit she said:
You *punch*
keep *punch*
talking *punch*
and *punch*
talking *punch*  
and *punch*
I *punch*
told *punch*
you *punch*
to *punch*
shut *punch*
the *punch*
fuck *punch*
up*punch*
I *punch*
said *punch*
sorry*punch*  
but *punch*
you *punch*
wouldn’t *punch*
stop *punch*
*Here it comes*
 YOU *punch* DON’T *punch* KNOW *punch* WHAT*punch* PEOPLE *punch* ARE*punch* GOING *punch* THROUGH!!!! *punch*
Yooooooo, this monologue was delivered with a series rapid firing flawless uppercuts, jabs, side dome hits, and head slams.  In a nutshell, she went in!!! Her purse and all of its contents was scattered all over the subway floor and it didn’t even matter.  She had seen the light, the red one that is, and had zoned slam the eff out. She was no longer with us, she was somewhere else and it was no longer about the elbow, the seat, or the mouthy chick next to her. It was about something deeper and more tragic that only she knew about. 
It was sad actually. Not for the chick that got her ass beat, no shade, but lady, you knew what it was when you climbed on the train.  It was sad for the chick who had let her problems compound in a way that a feather could have dusted her shoulder and sent her into a rage. And let me go on the record and say, although the spontaneous brawl WAS indeed funny to the outsider (me), I did take a moment to pray for her because my heart did certainly feel her pain whatever it was that day.
Anywho, I bet y’all want to know how it ended right? Did she get arrested? Did The Hispanic chick cut her? Cry? Did I ever get up and move out the way? (Yes, you know you’re wondering if I was still sitting there annnnnnnd I was. Hahahahaha!)
So she’s pounding on her punching bag, I mean the other chick:
Random train rider: “Coooome ooooon lady, you won! It’s over already!”
(something to note:  the train was being held at this point, if an investigation ensued they would take the train out of service leaving folks no way to get from 96 higher on the 2/3 line. It would have made it a very very painful commute for all involved)
BC: It’s *punch* not *punch* about *punch*winning*punch*!!!!!!
(Yo, she was dead ass!!!!!!)
Subway Riders: *Moooaaaan and groooaaaans*
Old lady jumps on train: “Oh lord, baby, you need to get your things and go.  If the cops are called you will be going to jail!”
BC: *snaps to attention, gathers herself, grabs her bag and jumps off the train.*
*the door chimed, shut, and the train took off*
JUST LIKE THAT! THE DOOR CHIMED, SHUT, AND TOOK OFF!
Was the Hispanic chick in shock? Were the riders in outrage? Did the police come?
No. No. Aaaaaaand No.
Life continued in motion.   It was business as usual, and aside from some flushed cheeks, the Hispanic chick adjusted her shirt gathered her packages and rode the train to her stop.
Business as usual…
The moral:  Shit, happens and if you’re lucky you may witness it. Hahahaha! No really it's simple isn't it? Sometimes you just DON’T know what people are going through.  Listen, there’s a fine line between talking shit and getting your tail handed to you on the 3 train during rush hour. Tread lightly loves…tread lightly.
And to the black chick out there…somewhere….
“Yo...You've got the juice now…man”

1 comment: