Friday, August 17, 2012

36 IS THE NEW...36: CELEBRATING ME

I used to take it personal when people would reference my personality as a “typical Leo”.  I think I took it to heart because I knew that they meant it for harm as opposed to the marvelous good that it truly is.  Yes, being a Leo is the most amazing thing in the world! And let me just say now, being jealous about it will get you no where.  We shine the most, we are super outgoing, we will friend the world, and we’re easy going yet have just enough fire in us to make things go our way.  How can you NOT love that!!! (Yes, that was a Leo statement at its finest and I fully approve this message)
So with that said, it’s that time again. Uh huh, my birthday post! As we all know, or are just now learning. I loooooooooooove my birthday.   It is a celebration of life, so how could you not love that! And in all honesty, if I can just be a little...umm...open (as if being closed is an option lol), I think I love to celebrate my birthday even more so because …well, because I can.  HAHAHA
No really, I think I’ve shared that when I was a kid, I spent every birthday down south with my grandmother and although she always had a party for me, it was always with people I didn’t know or old students of hers (she was a 1st grade teacher).  So spending my birthday at home  or with my own friends wasn’t even considered an option.  So needless to say, now that I can celebrate how I want and where I want, I take full advantage and go all the way in, like dive head first in.
So this year was no different,  my celebration was big, much like my personality (and that's in a good way! Hi Haters! lol)  I had a surprise party, I mean come ooooon, it doesn’t get any bigger than that!!!! So when I was thinking of what kind of post I would write in honor of this "National Holiday de Nika", I thought well of course I should dedicate one to the events of the weekend.  Then I said naaaaaah, what goes on, on during "The Holiday" stays in the Holiday lol. Hahahaha! But seriously, The weekend wasn’t about how many drinks I could have, or how many shots I could take and still come out unscathed<<<Oh yes, because your girl handled the weekend like a BOSS!!!!! Cheeeaa! But really the weekend was about the celebration of this wonderful life I have with the most awesome people in it.  So I decided to do a post ala last year to acknowledge and rejoice life, my growth, and my movement into another great year!  Because to be quite frank, I wasn't guaranteed another and am truly blessed to be another year older!
The 35 gems I learned about me last year that I will carry over to my 36th year (long ass title lol):
1)      I learned that no one can be perfect. I’m not even perfect so to place that expectation on others is a sure fire way to be disappointed.
2)      I need more attention from a loved one than I thought I needed.  Which taught me that I AM actually an affectionate person (who knew).
3)      I actually DO love to cuddle, and want to cuddle ALL of the time. (another point for affection! POW!)
4)      I can be vulnerable and although it hurts, it really is a good thing if I want to grow.
5)      I love deeper than I thought I could, or even imagined I could.
6)      I perhaps share way more than I should, and although I should certainly reel in some of it , sharing is what makes me who I am. I'm not going to change that.
7)      There’s nothing wrong with being transparent, just maybe not to everyone.
8)      Following your heart is rewarding, following your gut is necessary.
9)      When you ignore your gut, you’re in for a world of hurt and rude awakening.
10)   Striving to be me is better than striving to be like everyone else.
11)   God is undeniably faithful, something I learn and appreciate every year.
12)   I have an amazing support system even when I doubt it sometimes.
13)   I’m truly not crazy….there’s a term for me….it’s just not known yet.  But crazy isn't it. (Hi Haters)  ;-)
14)   I’m an amazing person and catch, and the right person will come along and benefit from it.  Until then, that will not be rushed.  Everyone you like, isn’t meant to be the one.
15)   As much as they drive me mad, my family is key in my life.  I could never be with someone who lacked that value.  A deadbeat father, uncle, brother is very unattractive. It’s a hard no for me. (A vegan is a hard no too, but that's another post for another time lol)
16)   I can be extremely pushy and needy sometimes. A trait I vow to work on…kind of.   As I work on it, I won’t beat myself up about it however.
17)   My health is of extreme importance.  I will put it first from here on out because I vow, to live my best life always.
a.       That’s my best life, not that YOLO life those reckless people are living hahahaha!
18)   Working out is imperative, I’ve given up the thought that I can be healthy without it. It’s just not possible.
19)   I continued to learn this year, to truly love myself. Long gone are the days of insecurity.
a.       Number 19 is a big thing for me since 10 years ago I couldn’t even stand to look at myself in the mirror.  Today I don’t shy away from the mirror and actually enjoy the person looking back.
20)   I will not even entertain anything that goes against #19.
21)   I realize my eyes (now that I have contacts) isn’t my greatest asset, it’s my smile with my eyes coming in second.  This isn’t vain, this is important to note, as I didn’t think I had one asset. As a matter of fact nothing was appealing about me to me. (see 19a)
22)   I’m learning to accept my emotions. They run amuck. It is what it is, to love me is to ride that out….or not but know that they’re here to stay.
23)   This year I lost 15lbs and a pants/dress size. I was quite elated about that, no celebration list will be complete without acknowledging that as I worked and continue to work hard for it! hahahaha!
24)   I’m a very loyal and dedicated friend. Who will ride like shit for my friends.  It’s okay for me to expect the same, and if it isn’t reciprocated, it’s okay for me to let them go. 
25)   I hold on to people and things way longer than I should.  Some things aren’t meant to last forever.  It’s okay to let them go and have no animosity from it.  Life ebbs and flows that way.
26)   Non-supportive friends…that’s that shit I don’t like.
27)   This year, I have stopped putting limitations on myself and stopped letting people put their limitations on me.  I will move, go, and live as I choose.
28)   I’ve learned to stop allowing people to comment and interject their opinion in my life.   Not everyone has your best interest at heart or even knows you well enough to have your best interest at heart.
29)   I used to think I was perhaps to prude; happily this year I realized I wasn't...I was just scared. There’s a difference.
30)   With that said, this year I have discovered and learned more things about my sexuality.  It’s been awesome.
31)   Yes I know 30 was TMI. Whateves LOL
32)   My free spirit can be a bit much…even for me.  Hell I can be a bit much…even for me.
33)   Matters of the heart are the hardest lessons learned, but necessary none the less.   I decided to stop fighting them.
34)   I should leave the conspiracy theories to those that handle them best.  Everyone is not out to harm me, do me harm, or out to get me.
35)   It’s important to check my imagination and not let it run amuck. It’s vivid and can go off the deep end. See number 34…
And there you have it, my list narrowed down! LOL Because I could go on, and on, and on.  I have learned sooo much this year.  So much so that at the time, it seemed very painful.  But the reality is, it truly helped grow me and stretch me.  As you read this, I hope you can relate, but more importantly maybe you’ll write your own list.  It’s really cathartic.  We spend so much time beating ourselves up about what we didn’t accomplish, what we haven’t done, crying about how we’re getting another year older and and are in the same place, or reminiscing on how time flies.  But the reality is, you’re rarely ever in the same place as you started.  It truly is ALL about perspective. And everyone needs their perspective adjusted every now and then. Right?  *hi fives* Hell yayer!

Sooo, here's to: Happy Growing!  Happy Learning!  Happy Living! Happy Birthday to my dear Leos! and most importantly....
….And Happy Birthday to me! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. AAAAAAAAAAMAZING post! I can relate to almost all of these and I love the growth because you deserve to be in the space you're in now!

    ReplyDelete